A major fire on March 21st, 2011, broke inside the Elysee Montmartre Theatre. Paris fire department received the first calls for help came at about 7:45 am from buildings adjacent to the theater.
The fire was under control by approximately 11:30. It is believed that the conflagration was caused by a short-circuit. 26 fire engines and 16 rescue centers have been mobilized.
The fire has damaged a two-century-old theater, birthplace of French cabaret-style cancan dancing. The internal structural supports were designed by Gustave Eiffel, famed for the Eiffel Tower.
The Elysée-Montmartre, a legendary performance hall in Paris, has been damaged by a fire that broke out on March 21st, 2011.
The fire, which is believed to have been caused by an electrical short circuit, caused no injuries.
The fire broke out shortly before 8 a.m. and was brought under control around 11:30 a.m. A cleaning lady, who was turning on the light, saw sparks and reported it to the authorities. The fire spread throughout the building. While the facade of the building appeared to be intact, the damage inside was significant.
The main room was in ruins, even though it was not directly affected by the flames. The first floor had partially collapsed, and there were several secondary fires. Nearly 80 firefighters quickly intervened and managed to contain the fire in just over three hours.
Several people from the neighborhood had been evacuated as a safety measure, but no injuries were reported.