Drunk electrician starts fire in Moscow gallery


tOn 11th  Jan 2009, a drunk electrician started a fire at a world-famous Moscow art museum after he fell asleep while smoking a cigarette. The blaze at Moscow’s Tretyakov Gallery started in an engineering building next to the main gallery Saturday and damaged technical equipment but not any of the museum’s valuable art works. A police source told that a 49-year-old workman had caused the fire, but a spokeswoman for the Moscow museum said it was too early to say what started the blaze. According to preliminary reports, the man fell asleep with a lit cigarette when he was drunk.
The gallery houses some of the best-known Russian art, from 9th century Orthodox icons to 19th century impressionism and portraits of famous Russian writers.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *